Friday, September 4, 2009

Jewelry

I sometimes feel like I put on jewelry like armor, when I'm nervous, when I'm scared of how I'm going to be perceived. Before a date that has me filled with butterflies. I slip on my bracelet gauntlets, my rings like brass knuckles, my necklaces like shields. They impose a distance, no one can stroke my wrists, nuzzle my neck, kiss my fingers. I am buffered by my work, and by the excuse to speak, to defend myself: Yes, I made it out of blowtorches and steel and metal dredged from the ground, adorned it with sharp stones, it is mine. A demonstration of my control over extreme elements (over myself, over you).

2 comments:

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

I so get this...

Anonymous said...

Bekka,
Victor is real...there are actual, real live pictures of him throwing popcorn!! Just gotta look him up. I was starting to wonder too. Especially because his name is Victor. And that makes him sound like some kind of hot super villain. And then I was all like, How did Jenny meet a super hot super villain (because it IS NOT ok to marry a super villain if he isn't hot, just like in Sons of Anarchy--not hot)? But I saw a picture, and he is actually a normal guy. And shockingly, he doesn't even wear a wig.

Post a Comment